Exploring The Software Behind Facebook
Just blogged about Exploring the software behind Facebook, the world’s largest site in my YALL. I think the article is a must-read for those who are interested in scalability.
Here is a summary links of some of the tools used
- Memcached, distributed memory caching system
- HipHop, convert PHP to C++
- Haystack, high performance object store
- BigPipe, dynamic web page serving system
- Cassandra, distributed storage system with no single point of failure.
- Scribe, flexible logging system
- Hadoop, open-source map-reduce implementation
- Thrift, cross-language framework that ties all of these different languages together
- Varnish, HTTP accelerator which can act as a load balancer and also cache content