Saturday, February 27, 2010

An Interview Question

I came across this interview question:
Imagine you are going off to be a sysadmin on a desert island, with no internet access, and further imagine that the previous sysadmin was a total fascist with a minimalist install policy. We're talking a bare-bones "classic" Solaris installation, or a minimal Debian system here. You've got SSH installed, but not much else. Before you hop on the boat, however, you are given a couple of hours high-speed internet access and a USB stick. You can take up to 5 tools with you to this desert island: What do you pick ?

I have been using this question for my recent interviews and sad to say that none of the interviewees managed to impress me.

If I were the interviewee, I would download the following because I have been using these utilities to build tools for my customers. Thanks to my current and ex-employers 'cos they always have no budget to buy commercial tools.

3 Comments:

Blogger Raymond Tay said...

In another way, it drove you to become innovative :) and i'll say that's always a good thing

9:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Been to interview recently? sounds like a a retirement place when interviewers can think of such questions :)

4:55 PM  
Blogger chihungchan said...

To find out more about an interviewee, you need this type of open-ended question.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home